We heart poms poms. Small pom poms, large fluffy pom poms, We love ’em all. These fluffy, softballs are total hoogah mascots. It’s little wonder that we have so many pom-pom based DIY craft ideas on myhoogah.
So, let’s start at the very beginning. Let’s make a pom pom!
PS: The secret to perfect, fluff cuddle balls is to make your own pom poms. Yes, you heard it right 🙂. Nothing beats handmade.
There are different methods to make a pom pom – from toilet paper rolls to forks to cardboard pom poms (psst: don’t throw away your cereal box ).
This tutorial focuses on how to make a pom pom using a pom pom maker. Our verdict: if you want to make the best pom poms, use a pom pom maker. They save time and yield better results.
Pom Pom makers are easily available online. These are round donut shaped devices. They usually come in 4 sizes – Large, Medium, Small and Extra-Small. We got ours from Amazon. They are affordable (around Rs.250-Rs.400) and durable.
So, let’s get pom pom making.
- Acrylic yarn roll
- Pom pom maker
- Pair of scissors
- Sharp paper cutter
STEP 1: Material Set-Up
- Depending on the size of the pom-poms you’re looking to make, choose the corresponding pom-pom maker
- Yarn is wrapped around the 2 foldable arms
- In this tutorial, we will make a pom pom using acrylic yarns.
STEP 2: Wrap the yarn
- Start with 1 foldable arm of the pom pom maker
- Wrap yarn from one end to the other end of the curved arm
- Tighter and closer the wraps are, the better the end result will be
- Larger the no. of wraps per arm, the thicker the pom poms are
- Repeat process on the other arm.
STEP 3: Trim the end
- When you make a pom pom, you might not know how much yarn is needed
- Hence, wrap the pom pom from the spool directly
- Cut the yarn only after you have finished wrapping.
STEP 4: Secure with a knot
- Once you finish wrapping, secure the ends with a knot
- Cut off any extra yarn at the ends.
STEP 5: Cut the yarn
- Always use a really sharp paper cutter or a pair of scissors for this step
- The blunt cutters will cause the yarn to fray and will dislodge the wrap
- Ensure that the pom pom makers are firmly closed
- As you are cutting through multiple yarns, the cutters might get blunt
- Replace it with a sharp cutter. You will thank us for this tip 😉
- Cut through the wrap following the ridge between the curved arms
STEP 6: Tie a tight knot in the center
- Cut out a 10-12 inches of yarn
- Thread this yarn through the center of the pom pom maker.
- Pull tight and tie a knot
- This is a crucial step. If not secured tight, the pom pom yarns will all fall apart
- Take your time and ensure this step is done right.
STEP 7: Release the pom pom maker
- Very carefully, release the pom poms from the 2 arms of the pom pom maker
- At this stage, the pom pom may look limp or uneven
- Don’t worry, that’s normal.
STEP 8: Trim the ends
- This step will determine if what you made is an okkey pom pom or a wow fluffy pom pom
- Take your time with this super therapeutic step
- Snip the pom pom ends until you have a tight and a fluffy pom pom
- As you keep snipping, the pom poms become tighter and fluffier
- Make sure you keep those two long strands long. It will give you the flexibility for future use.
STEP 9: Your fluffy pom pom is ready!
- Voila, your fluffy pom pom is ready!
- Make a pom pom with different sizes or different colors.
- Have fun experimenting with beautiful pom pom crafts.
Medium – thick acrylic yarns work best for pom pom crafting projects
Generally, 10 ply acrylic yarns work really well for fluffy pom poms
These yarns are easily accessible in your local craft stores or Amazon
They are widely available in different colours, inexpensive
Acrylic yarn pom poms are easier to handle, wrap and wash
The more times you wrap the yarn around the pom pom maker arm, the denser and fuller your pom poms will be
Very thick, chunky yarns work great for large-sized pom poms
Finer wrapped yarns tend to work best for smaller pom poms
On average, around 5 wraps for thicker yarn and at least 7-8 wraps for thinner yarns
A cat grooming brush is your secret tool for the fluffiest pom poms
If you don’t have a lot of any one colour of yarn, make a pom pom using multiple colours
To make stripes, wind one color around a portion of the arm, right, and cut yarn
Switch colour and repeat for as many stripes as desired
Repeat process in reverse colour order on the other arm.
Sharp scissors are a must for cutting and trimming
Don’t be afraid to give it a good trim. Most often, the fluffiest pom pom is that one snip away
It’s normal for a pompom to look imperfect when it comes out of the maker – trim it to give it a tighter appearance.