If you’ve ever wanted to try your hand at Mediterranean dishes, this Persian Pearl Barley Soup is a great place to start. It’s easy, filling, healthy and oh so delicious!
Barley keeps you satiated for long periods of time, while providing fiber and potassium. Carrots and onions provide that veggie boost as well!
Pearl Barley is a very hearty whole grain that is rich in fiber and a good addition to your dietary plan. You can even add more vegetables to make it rich and delicious to slurp in!
Persian Barley SoupPrint
FOR THE PERSIAN BARLEY SOUP
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Pearl Barley (uncooked)
- 1 Red Onion (diced)
- 1 Carrots (peeled, diced)
- 1 Lime (juiced)
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Black Pepper Powder (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsps Canola / Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Parsley (washed, chopped)
- 8 Lime Wedges (for garnish )
- Cooking pot
PREP THE STOCK
- Pour chicken stock into a large pot or vessel that has a lid, and cover it
- Heat the stock over a medium flame until it starts to simmer and leave it on the counter for a while
FOR THE PERSIAN BARLEY SOUP
- Heat a saucepan over a medium flame, add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil, add onions and fry them until they turn translucent
- Add in pearl barley and stir it together for 1 minute
- To this mixture, add pepper, simmered chicken stock, salt, turmeric, and lime juice
- Heat this over a medium flame until it starts boiling, reduce the heat to a low flame at this point
- Let it simmer for 1 hour
- Add carrots and cook the soup for another 30 more minutes
MIXING THE SOUR CREAM
- In a small bowl, take some sour cream and add ½ cup of cooked soup
- Combine the cream and soup until they’re mixed well
- Transfer this back to the pot with the rest of the soup and mix thoroughly
GARNISH & SERVE
- Pour into a serving bowl and place the parley on top
- Serve with a lime wedge by the side and devour it while it’s hot!
It is a perfect hoogah meal! It works well on days you want to whip up something filling, yet easy. Try this Persian specialty and let us know how you like it!
If the soup seems too thick for your liking, add some water, simmer for 2 minutes and mix well
You can add mushrooms of your choice like Prochini, Oyster and Shiitake if you like. Just saute them for 5 mins after the onions are cooked
If you are Vegan, you can add coconut milk instead of cream to make it richer and creamier
Feel free to add other herbs like dil, mint and fennel into the soup for more flavour
You can also make it very healthy by adding some spinach leaves to up the iron levels in your diet
Serve the Pearl barley soup with a drizzle of the cream on the top and some chopped parsley by the side
The flavour will be more enhanced if you squeeze in a lemon wedge over the top
Serve it with fresh sourdough pieces or toast them as well till it is light brown and drizzle with olive oil and serve. Make sure you dip the bread with the soup as you eat!
Keep it in airtight containers and refrigerate before using it again. Keep adding water if it’s too thick
The soup can stay for a maximum of 2 days