Are you looking for a healthy salad for your everyday meals? Well here is something that we have found which is not only rich in protein but also quick and easy to prepare.
Traditionally it is made using moong dal, but we have created a small variation by adding soaked chana dal instead. Adding freshly grated coconut is a must! as it gives a typical South Indian touch.
The freshness comes from cut cucumbers and coriander leaves. This salad makes the perfect quick snack during Summer. You can whip this up quickly when your kids are back from school.
What you find more interesting is that cucumbers are a rich source of antioxidants and very good for hydration thus making it the best salad to add it into one’s Summer diet. Chana Dal on the other hand is an excellent source of protein for the vegetarians.
Kosambari with Cucumber & Chana DalPrint
For the salad
- 1 cup Split Bengal Gram / Chana Dal
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coconut (grated)
- 1 Cucumber (skin peeled, chopped into cubes)
- 1 Green Chillies (medium size, finely chopped )
- 1/2 Lemon (juice, squezzed )
- 2 sprig Coriander / Cilantro (finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 tbsp Canola / Vegetable Oil
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Grater
- 1 Lemon squeezer
- 1 Tempering pan
For the salad
- Rinse the chana dal quickly with water couple of times before you soak
- Soak chana dal in ½ cup of water in a bowl for about an hour and drain the water and keep it ready for the salad
- Peel the cucumber cut into small pieces
- Put together all ingredients in their measured quantities
- Mix them all in a mixing bowl
- Using a lemon squeezer, squeeze out the lemon juice into the mixture
- Add salt to taste and mix again
- Heat a tempering kadai on medium heat, add a tablespoon of oil
- Once the oil is heated, add mustard seeds, curry leaves into the oil, allow it splutter for few seconds
- Add in dry red chilli and sprinkle asafoetida and fry till the chillies crisp up
- Pour in the tempered mixture into the salad and mix well
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves when you serve!
Make a DIY Kosambari bar: Have fun mixing it up.
It’s a perfect fix-it-up at home salad – a hoogah moment indeed.
Serve it as a platter along with other kosambaris and fried papad.
Experiment by adding grated carrot, raw mango and pomegranate.
Store the mixture without salt in an airtight container in the fridge and just when you serve sprinkle with salt and serve.
If you are planning on keeping the cucumber Kosambari for more than a day, make sure you do not add salt to the salad as it will leave out water.