Vietnamese summer rolls with vegetables are the perfect form of nature in your plate. Colourful, fresh and simple. What’s even better, is that they’re also crunchy, soft, chewy and tender. Every taste you desire comes together in each bite!
The myHoogah team spent quite a bit of energy trying to resist eating these rolls. We knew we had to show them to you first! There’s good reason why.
There’s a certain simplicity to Vietnamese cuisine. That simplicity is precisely what we’ve tried to capture through these images. Our hoogah for this day was born from watching the colours come alive on screen!
Vietnamese Rainbow Spring RollPrint
FOR THE SUMMER ROLL
- 100 grams Rice Noodles / Rice Vermicelli
- 1/2 cup Carrots (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/2 cup Red Radish (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/2 cup White Radish (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/2 cup Purple Cabbage (shredded )
- 1/2 cup Cucumber (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/2 cup Raw Mango (cut into matchsticks)
- 1 cup Mixed Bell Peppers (thinly sliced )
- 1 Green Lettuce (leaves separated )
- 1/2 cup Thai Basil Leaves
- 1/2 cup Coriander / Cilantro
- 15 Rice Paper Wrappers (8 ½ inches in diameter)
FOR THE GARNISH
- 2-3 stalk Coriander / Cilantro (washed and leaves plucked )
- 1 Mixing bowl
- Wooden Chopping Board
PREP THE INGRIDIENTS
- Wash all the vegetables and herbs under running water and remove any dirt or wax
- Peel and chop vegetables for stuffing the Vietnamese rolls, make sure they all are in same length
COOKING THE RICE VERMICELLI
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over a medium heat
- Once the water start to boil, drop in the vermicelli noodles into the boiling water
- Loosen and untangle the noodles using chopsticks or tongs
- Boil for 3 to 4 minutes until they are tender
- Drain the cooked noodles and immediately flush them with cold water to avoid them from getting overcooked
- Gently squeeze out any excess water and set aside on a plate loosely covered with a clean kitchen towel
- The cooked noodles should fill up about 2 cups
PREPARING THE RICE PAPER SHEET
- Pour warm water into a large bowl or a 9-inch square / round baking pan
- Dip a single sheet of rice paper wrapper into warm water for 15 - 20 seconds. The wrapper needs to be soft yet firm
- Immediately remove from water once it reaches that texture, and place on a cutting board
- Repeat the process for the other wrappers, based on how many of them you’re making
- Slightly pat the wrapper dry with a kitchen towel
ASSEMBLING THE SUMMER ROLL
- Organise the matchsticks of carrot, red and white radish, cabbage, bell peppers, raw mango and cucumbers to one side of the counter
- Also arrange pieces of lettuce, mint and cilantro along with the rice paper near a clean cutting board
- Place a leaf of lettuce on the bottom third of the rice paper making sure to leave a border of 1 1/2 inches on either side
- Place 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of cooked noodles on the lettuce and spread into a 4 ½ inch long line
- Lay three leaves of cilantro and a couple of leaves each of mint or basil on top
- Place the cut vegetables one after another and top it with the cooked vermicelli
ROLLING & GARNISHING
- Carefully fold the bottom edge of the rice paper over the filling and roll once into a tight cylinder
- Fold in the sides and continue to roll the cylinder till it is 4 to 5 inches long
- Place the completed roll on a clean plate or a serving platter loosely covered with a damp, clean dish towel
- Repeat the procedure until all the filling has been rolled up into rice paper cylinders
- Make sure to reheat or replace the water in the skillet in case it is no longer warm enough to soften the rice paper.
- Cut the summer roll into half and serve it with the open side onto a plate. Or you can even serve the whole summer roll garnished with a coriander leaf on top.
Picture this: A summer day at the park, and you’ve packed a dozen or more of these summer rolls. You have an iced coffee, a book and umpteen sunshine. A perfect hoogah day in the making. Go ahead make these vegan Summer Rolls for your picnic.
You can peel or wash the vegetables to keep it handy
Whisk any dipping sauce and store it ahead
Keep your serving plates ready so it is easier to just transfer the summer rolls once you have rolled them
If you are a fish sauce lover you can add fish sauce also to enhance the flavour.
- Omit vegetables that you feel is too much, but trust us the more the vegetables the more crunchy and healthy its going to be.
- Add in tofu or paneer slices to add a difference in the texture. You can follow our Vietnamese Summer roll with tofu and pineapple to know the method.
Prepare right before serving because the vegetables don’t retain their crunch as time passes.
Serve the summer rolls on a platter or individual plates and dip into the sauce before eating to get the double the surprise!
We have come up with few options of dips that you can serve along with it: Coconut Soy Dipping Sauce, I bet you will go crazy with these lip smacking dips.
Store the summer rolls in a single layer on a plate or tray covered with a damp clean dish towel and wrapped with plastic in the fridge for up to several hours before serving.
It is best to eat these summer rolls fresh, do not let it sit in your fridge for more than a day. The vegetables will lose their crunch, the rice crackers and the rice paper roll will end up being soggy. So try to finish them all!
You can keep the stuffing separately in an airtight container and assemble as and when you feel like eating these summer rolls.